Jonathan Oliver joins the debate Greg and Ayende had over the past few days, sharing his ideas on the repository pattern. Jonathan’s concerns summarize some of the most frequently asked questions around repositories:
- How do we best query the repository to find the particular aggregates that we care about?
- How do we handle UI concerns such as paging within the repository?
- Does the repository even care about UI concerns?
- How do we display domain objects to the UI (this is only slightly related to the repository pattern).
- How do we modify our domain objects to support lazy loading?
The storm continues as Chad Meyer presents his opinion on MVC vs. WebForms. While Chad puts the two technologies head to head, go and watch this video where ASP.NET MVC and WebForms are combined. Simone Chiaretta, the other author of Beginning ASP.NET MVC 1.0, shares his thoughts on when and why ASP.NET MVC should be adopted.
The RC release will be out this week and the Public Sector Developer Team published a few useful links with the changes from the beta.
Visual Studio 2008
Rick Strahl gives another great tip on how to create template projects.
Internet Explorer 8
Check-out this interesting video on box sizing and vertical text. John Hrvatin, the Lead Program Manager on IE Team, has some great tips on how to improve the application performance with IE8.
Karl Seguin writes about the 7 phases of unit testing. Where are you?
Remember Control Adapters? Adapter Groups were supposed to be included in ASP.NET 4.0 but Scott Galloway announces that they will be out in the next beta.
Karl Seguin continues his tutorial on building a validation framework showing how client-side validation can be done.
Eric Lippert as usual has a great post explaining what is wrong when value types are by definition as variables allocated on the stack.